Wednesday, December 06, 2006




Ok. Now I´ve reached the Incan Ruins. They were called the ombligo (bellybutton) of the Incan Empire, because they are at the center. A guide followed me for sometime, and I finally said he could give me a tour. They never tell you their fee ahead of time. From now on I´ll insist. They always just say they want a donation, "whatever you feel". Unless, you offer them less than they want. Anyway, he was very informative, and took all of the photos of me in this "montage".

The Spanish respected this site so much that they tore down 70% of it. Up until the 1950s you could legally purchase rocks from the site to help construct your house. You had to bring your own dynamite, however. The bottom pic is a site where they excavated over a dozen Incan mummies. Some of them had false teeth made out of turqouise. Never heard of that, but my guide had photos. Said they used some extract from a type of frog for anathesia.

In the second pic from bottom is the wall of the first level. All of these rocks were hauled from 1-3 km away, without the use of wheels. They say it took 20,000 men 20 years to build. Give or take a few men and years.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home